Thursday 28 April 2011

Kingdom Hearts: Re:CoM

Finally got around to finishing Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories. Honestly, Riku’s story was a drag, with too much trawling through worlds without any plot and far too little reward. It was too easy even on Proud Mode, too – I was very surprised when I beat the final boss, expecting it to be only the first part of a longer battle.

Very much worthwhile as a free extra, but certainly not something that ought to be sold as a standalone game.

The abiding impressions I’ve been left with by this game:

• Most of the organisation are totally pointless, useless and uninteresting.
• Naminé is more interesting than I remembered, and Riku more likeable.
• I still don’t quite see where his blindfold comes from.
• No matter the graphical engine used, the grid pattern on the back of Roxas’s head looks really, really silly.
• Riku is actually far more sympathetic than I gave him credit for, even if his part of the game is dull.

Well, that’s out of the way. Next, I ought to go back to Final Fantasy XII, if I’m gonna be cosplaying from it sometime soon. Then Persona 3 and the numerous other games I have lined up, including KH2: FM. Plus the handheld games that keep distracting me: I finished a chapter today, but far later than expected because I kept grabbing my new DS to play Professor Layton and the Curious Village or my PSP to play Patapon. But hey…games, particularly games with a good story and strong characters, never seem like time wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment